Monday, September 20, 2010

pumpkin pots


This is the time to bring in the squashes from the garden,but these squash inspired pots are still OK out. These pots are coil built, sawdust fired earthenware. I made them when my kids were little at a time when I was profoundly moved by the impact bearing and caring for children has on my body and psyche. I wanted this process to be valued, whereas I felt that as women we try to conceal all what is woman to preserve the girl. So, these pots are unadorned, a little lumpy, with some finger marks. They have a polish from being rubbed with a stone and feel ripe with the possibility to contain. They are sometimes sold as funeral urns, which I like very much. The idea of some ones ashes being in these pots, buried in the earth brings to mind being in the belly of mother earth, of earth to earth, of slowly returning to the earth. This to me feels mysterious, quiet, and lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment